Richard Parkes Bonington
The Bonington Theatre, Arnold is named after Richard Parkes Bonington, a locally born and raised painter of the English school.
Richard Parkes Bonington was born at Arnold,
Nottingham on 25th October, 1802, the only child of Richard Bonington and Eleanor Parkes. His first home was a house in High Street, Arnold . The house is still there today and
known as Bonington House. It is presently used as a social club and is the base for Arnold Local History Group meetings.
In the 1920s, a plaque was installed on the wall of Bonington House by the Chairman of Arnold Urban District Council, Robert Mellor.
Parkes Bonington’s History
After Richard was born his mother opened a school in Arnold. After a while she transferred the school and family into the centre of Nottingham. Nothing is known of Richard's own schooling, but
he is reputed to have been skilled at drawing from a young age and to have loved acting.
His father was Governor of Nottingham Gaol but was forced to tender his resignation for reading the prisoners the forbidden doctrines of the revolutionary, Tom
mother’s school however, also failed and the Boningtons were therefore determined to try something new. They decided to set up a lace making factory. As a result of the social unrest affecting business, following the introduction of the factory system
into the Nottingham lace and hosiery industries, the Boningtons decided to emigrate and try their luck in France.
In 1817, the family moved firstly to Calais, then on to Paris the following year.
Richard did not like the factory but preferred painting and sketching, Against his father's wishes, Richard became a student of Ecote des Beaux Arts in Paris from 1819 to 1822, where he was taught precision drawing. Here, he learned the art of watercolour painting, his response to nature, and a taste for coastal scenes from Louis Francia.
In 1821, Bonington made an extended tour of Normandy in the company of a fellow student, Alexandre-Marie Colin, and exhibited watercolours at two Paris dealers. They
were admired by Corot, Delacroix, and Gros himself.
He first exhibited at the Salon in 1822.
Bonington then toured Belgium in 1823 and spent much of 1824 at Dunkirk, exhibiting his first oils at the Salon that year.
In 1825, he visited London, where he studied the Meyrick collection
in the company of Delacroix, whose studio he shared for several months on his return to France.
travelled to Italy for eleven weeks in 1826 with Baron Rivet, a wealthy patron whom he had met through Delacroix. He spent a month in Venice where he worked with feverish energy. The rest of his short life was taken up with handling a mounting pressure of
work, much of it commissioned. All this was in the face of increasing weakness induced by tuberculosis, made worse by sunstroke
At the end of 1827 he moved from his studio in the house of Jules-Robert Auguste, a wealthy collector
of oriental costume, to a larger one in the Rue Saint Lazare.
Bonington made visits to London to see his dealers in 1827 and 1828, exhibiting at the Royal Academy of Arts in both years.
This exhibition being his first showing of his courtly history subjects there and later at the Salon in 1828.
He was obliged due to ill health to cancel a summer sketching trip
in Normandy with Paul Huet. He later returned to London a weak and dying man.
Bonington passed away, aged just 26, on 23th September, 1828 and was buried in Kensal Green Cemetery where his mother was also laid
to rest. The Nottingham Museum at the castle, has but two of his many pictures.
There are two statues of Richard in the Nottingham area. The first is a bust in the entrance to the Boningto
n Theatre in Arnold and the second, a statue in the entrance to the Gedling Borough Council offices in Arnold .
He also has a school, the Richard
Bonington Junior School and two roads, Bonington Drive and Bonington Street, in the area, named after him.
All articles ©